Thursday, February 10, 2011

PKP's Morning Pug Competition of Cuteness PART 1, Pet Fun Fest, and Maria Bamford!


This morning, my pugs were being impossible. They were making a point of being adorable and doing goofy things so that I would continue to play with them instead of working. The perils of working from home and having adorable pug creatures!















I decided we were going to have a Competition of Cuteness (and Special Skills), and today I will post the first two rounds.

The Contenders:

MISO (left) and HUMMUS (right)


MISO is a brainy brute, blind in one eye, and one ear flops around when he runs.
HUMMUS has a gigantic forehead but very little brain power inside. He has a skunk tail.

Both pugs have adorably gray chins, both are 8 years old, and both weigh 21 hulking pounds. They also both snore loudly, and are cuddle champions.


ROUND ONE:
Cutest Yawn.

MISO makes weird noises when he yawns that sound like "woooo", and can yawn on command if you rub his cheeks.
HUMMUS opens his mouth so wide, he looks like this:
WINNER: It was a hard one, but Hummus wins because he keeps is mouth open really long and wide and for a long time, and I have a picture to prove it :)


ROUND TWO:
Cutest Sleeper

MISO is part acrobat, part Shakespearean tragedy, and part smooshed beyond belief. His tongue often peeks out.
HUMMUS flops his body as wide as it can go. He spreads out all his legs and when his head is down his eyes disappear under wrinkles.
 
WINNER: Miso
Hummus is an adorable and ridiculous creature when he sleeps, but Miso deserved a whole blog post about it a few months ago. He is upside down, head hanging off of things, face rested on his paws, lips flopping open and looking like portobello mushrooms, and his tongue often sticks out. That is a seriously talented sleeper. I could post 50 more pictures of them sleeping! Also, for an added bonus, every single morning without fail, you can find purple belly lint in his belly button. 


 So it probably seems like them each winning a category is just me being the mom who loves her pugs equally, which I do, but they won these fair and square. The next few rounds they will continue
to battle it out by essentially snuggles, talent, and brains (oh Hummus, you will not win that portion, that is my prediction).

Right now their snores are overpowering the music I'm listening to, and I keep thinking my phone is vibrating, but no, it's just their nostril noises :)  












 Today at PKP Headquarters, we are gearing up for The Second Annual PET FUN FEST this weekend, out at Downsview Park in Toronto. Check out www.petfunfest.ca for all the details! 
Driving directions, times, vendor information, and event schedule! It's going to be a really great show!
The event is organized by the amazing people at Helpless Homeless Pets, check out their site too! www.helping homelesspets.com


Another thing I've been so excited about has been that very recently I met my favourite comedian, the hilarious Maria Bamford, at her show in Toronto. Maria has two pugs and shares some stories of them in her sets, so I thought I would bring Maria some PKP harnesses for them :)
Of course when you meet someone you like so much, you hope they are going to be good people so your opinion of them doesn't change too much. With Maria Bamford, both my friend Gord and I were so happy to find she was not only kind and funny, but really sweet and generous and she seemed to really like the harnesses I brought, and ended up getting one for a friend of hers too! I hoped she would eventually send a photo, but not only did she send one, she sent it to me 2 days after the show!
Her great pugs are named Blossom and Burt :)
You can see a really funny hour-long special that Maria made in her living room with the pugs snoring beside her here:

 Here is a photo of me and Maria together at the show!

1 comment: